Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Friday, April 4, 2014

Mandarin Orange Pop

The area around the pool table needed a little color, and since I am slowly working to update my living area with my new color scheme...



I decided to get some mandarin orange spray paint and add that needed pop of brightness to that dark corner of the room.  I had picked up an iron table base a while back at Dirt Cheap. It was missing the top, but that's an easy fix. I will just use a glass tabletop.  This part of the space is a little on the traditional side, so I think the orange iron with glass is just the contemporary touch that will make it work with the rest of my eclectic space.

Our traditional pool table...

Table Base- Before  

Table Base- After

I LOVE the paint...it's so shiny and contemporary feeling!  Here is what I used:


Since the glass on metal would slip and slide, I needed to put something on the metal that would grip the glass.  I had tried the little clear bumper pads with sticky backs before (in a similar application), and the glue didn't stick very well, so the little pads didn't stay in place. I decided to try poly tubing that is sold in the plumbing section of the hardware store.  I bought a foot of it and brought it home.  I cut three pieces, each about 3" in length.  Then I split the tubes lengthwise, opened it up a little and slipped it over each top piece where the glass will rest.




Looks like this is going to work!


Now, for the top...
I have two options for round pieces of glass that I already have around the house.

Option #1 is a piece of glass with
a wood frame around it...

Option #2 is just plain thick glass
with polished edges.

I felt like #1 looked like two totally separate pieces that had just been thrown together...just didn't work...and, I am trying to add something that is not traditional, so I think the wood needs to go.  I decided to go with #2, as it just looked more like a complete thought, and it feels right.

Now, that area of the room sort of goes with the rest of the space.  I will put a couple of throw pillows on the church pew (that is situated alongside the pool table), and that will complete that part of the room.


I am just about at the end of this redecorating project...I will share the entire space soon.

If you've just stumbled upon my blog and would like to follow along, I would be pleased to have you.  Just scroll down to the bottom and put your email address in the space provided to "subscribe".  I do not share email addresses with any third party...When I "ping" my new posts, a notice is sent directly to subscribers in the form of an email, so that you can follow the link directly to my new blog posts...easy and convenient.  Thanks for visiting, and I hope you've found something that was helpful or inspiring.  I've enjoyed having you.

Judy






No comments:

Post a Comment