Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sparkles in Salt Shakers

Glitter...I have a love hate relationship with it.  I LOVE to use it in my fun projects, it's just so happy, and sparkly, and fairy tale like...but, I HATE when I find it all over the house.  I remember one Christmas when some of the children opened their gifts (that were wrapped in glittered paper) and threw the wadded up paper onto the pool table which was covered.- Somehow, the glitter found it's way through the cover and onto the felt.  I think that was about six years ago, and we're still picking glitter out of the felt every time we play.  We've tried everything to include lint rollers and vacuuming (which you are not supposed to do to the felt)...but, that's just what happens when you introduce glitter into an environment.  It goes everywhere...

I saw a piece in a magazine a while back, where someone used salt and pepper shakers for glitter in their studio.  I was inspired to do the same- Sparkles in Salt Shakers.  Although, it seems like it would sort of give me some control over how much glitter comes flowing out when I use it, I'm not even going to allow myself to think that it will help with the mess! When it comes right down to it, I think the reason I'm doing this is because they are just so pretty! Anyway,  I started collecting a variety of little bottles and shakers about a year ago to use for my glitter.  I went to an estate sale in Mobile Saturday afternoon, and they had a couple of little shakers that were priced at $1 each. I picked them up and once I got home, went upstairs to the studio to see how many I had now collected.  Although, I still need a few, I decided to go ahead and start putting the glitter into the shakers.   What can I say? I'm just anxious to see what it's going to look like!  ...and, I need to know how many more I need.

Unwrapping my little estate sale shakers-

Bargains at $1 each-

In the studio yesterday afternoon- I had already
filled a couple of jars.

Large not so pretty containers at right-

My collection up until yesterday-

A little rust doesn't deter me-

A bent top is alright too...just shows
it's been used.

Shakers come in all shapes and sizes- I found it pretty amazing when I actually started paying attention to them.  The pricing is all over the place, too.  You can find them from $1 (or less for newer ones) to WAY up there.  Obviously, crystal and depression glass ones are more expensive.  I have a variety of them, but have never spent more than $18 on any one.  It's a fun item to collect, because you can be traveling and pick these up and not have to worry about the space taken up in the car.  I usually just stick mine in my purse after purchasing.

I just purchased some new ones today on Ebay- Three small ones for $5.99, plus $3 to ship. Comes out to just a little over $2 each- not too bad!  And, I love the tarnished lids.  I had a link to the pic here, but it is no longer available...I'll have to wait for them to get to me, then I'll post a picture.


Filling the Shakers

Since the little bottles are all different sizes and with different size openings at the top, I decided to have a funnel handy for those with small openings, and I organized everything so that the small bottles of glitter would be poured into the smaller shakers, and the large quantities would get the larger bottles- Just common sense, but it's good to be organized.








All filled- Now, aren't they pretty?

All gathered together on a silver platter-

In Detail






They are so pretty... now I want to go play in fairy dust in the studio! 

Thanks for stopping by, and I would love to have you follow along so that you don't miss a post! Just subscribe at the bottom of this page, or at the top right.  I appreciate my readers!

Judy


Shared with:








8 comments:

  1. That really is pretty. I've thought of doing this myself with my glitter. And, I even have the shakers. Don't know why I've hesitated; looking at your photographs really gives me the kick I needed to get that done. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you were inspired by my post! Thanks for taking time to comment.

      Delete
  2. Yours are so pretty. We use to make these when my daughter was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...sounds like it stirred memories. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  3. What a great use for your collection! Looks so pretty in a grouping! Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda! I appreciate you stopping by and leaving kind words. I am always searching for new ways to organize and make my studio pretty.

      Delete