Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Welcome to my Art Studio- Getting Organized

Hello friends!  Spring is finally here and it seems like there's not enough time to get everything done...doesn't really make sense though, because the days are actually longer now! Anyway, along with spring comes spring cleaning at my house, and maybe therein lies the problem...it's a really big mess this year.  Lots of cleaning and reorganizing to be done...John took a week off to clean and reorganize his two shops, and I decided it was time to reorganize my studio.  I haven't even been in the studio in seven months, as September of last year was when my little nephew, Justin, came to live with us to get medical care that wasn't available where he lived. So, I have not done any artwork in months and my studio sort of became the place where everyone "stuck" things that didn't have a home.  Weird things ended up in there that had absolutely nothing to do with my artwork.  Also, every artist knows and will be able to relate...you go through phases with your work, and it just evolves. You find that you no longer need certain supplies, and some artwork is so bad that you wonder why on earth you ever thought it was acceptable!  Yes, you end up with a lot of yard sale stuff.   I have now been working, reorganizing, for three days, and I am happy to say it's coming along nicely! Maybe I can get it into a condition that will be suitable for Justin to do six-year-old artwork while I work...that would be nice.  Before, there were little chards of glass and metal all over the floor.  I use the drill press and glass cutter and grinder frequently, and do not clean up after each session.  I am now separating the room into two "zones".  One for a messy and dangerous "children keep out" space, and the other child-safe area for blogging, painting and display..this area will be my whimsical inspirational zone. I took a quick break to snap a few pics to share with you the new look. These are just sneak peaks...I will share the finished studio in a few more days.



Vintage French doors separate the two work zones.


Dragonfly


Desk and tv corner.  This area is staying pretty much the same as before.


Shelf above desk...Colorful buttons, finished jewelry and a painting by me.


A box that I made using several found objects, including a purple glass doorknob!


Black vintage cabinet that I rescued from my dad's workshop when I was about fourteen years old!  I have carried this piece with me everywhere for a very long time now!  It houses fabrics, leather pieces waiting to be made into something fabulous, a pillow that belonged to my late mother, and finished pieces of art...jewelry, mixed media pieces, vintage things that are listed in my Etsy shop, and little white lights.  Glittery, sparkly stars, a cat and a JujuQueen crown dance around on top!


Details on a shelf...stars, mermaids, dragonfly and white lights...


Details...


A mixed media up-cycled box by me...


Stars and JujuQueen crown...


Artwork & wrapping paper...


Jars of buttons and small paintings by me...


More of my art wall...


Vintage button jewelry and cards...


I LOVE this crown...a JujuQueen gift from my sister-in-law, along with vintage textile mill spools with various ribbons and laces that I will use in my work.


More vintage spools with pretty things...and my mom.

This about captures the mood in my studio space.  Glitter, stars, crowns, mermaids, things with wings, vintagy, whimsical, boho gypsy chic, white lights, and organized!

That's about all I can share at the moment...more working happening today.  Great new lighting to install, and more organizing.  Remember those little square puzzles where you slide the pieces all around until you form the picture?  That's what I keep thinking about...Now, I need to go slide more pieces around!

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics in this room.  The lighting was really bad, and it was night time to top it off.  I had to capture the little white lights!!!  New pics in new lighting coming soon...stay tuned.  

Thanks for stopping by!

Judy


Shared with:














No comments:

Post a Comment