Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Friday, March 14, 2014

Happy Little "Moments in Time"

While shopping in our local Hobby Lobby yesterday, I was scurrying down an aisle and looked over to see hobby clock parts.  I wasn't looking for clock parts, but they caught my eye because I had bought an old clock case about fifteen years ago in an antiques store, and had never found a tiny clock that would fit the opening.  There was one there that looked like it might work! The price was marked $12, so I thought it was worth a shot...not much of a loss if it doesn't fit. John and I measured and figured out that we thought we could make it work. It was made with a rubber band like thing around it with little tabs sticking out to hold it in place.  With a little trimming of the rubber tabs, it fit like a charm!  So, that was my "Happy Little Moment in Time" yesterday.  The bright gold brass color is a little new looking for the battered case, but I will work on that later...I'm just so happy that I can now use the little clock.  Now I just need to decide if I want the leave the rabbits in the arrangement, or the little chicken.  Hmmm.  Oh, and before I forget, the great piece of artwork featured here with the clock is by my friend, Leslie Spradlin, a mixed-media artist.





Did I mention that I LOVE clocks- a lot?  Here are some of my other ones that came to me with their very own stories.


This clock wasn't always red.  It was wood toned and old fashioned feeling when it came to me after my dad's downsizing effort several years ago.  It had been a gift to my parents in the eighties.  I painted it red and hung it in a prominent place in the living area.  Every time I look up to see the time, it reminds me of Mom and Dad!


This regulator clock, by Waterbury Clock Co., is my pride and joy.  It was my first real "antique" purchase about twenty years ago, when we lived in Virginia.  And, it was really old even then. Somewhere, I have the papers that came with it, but I seem to remember that it dates to around 1910.  It's special because most of it is original, to include the paper dial face.  I love the discoloration that shows the age.  It is a time and strike clock, which simply means that it keeps time and also makes a noise on the hour and half hour.  You can tell by how many spring winding key places you can see on the dial of the clock.  See the two on this picture? One is almost hidden under the short hour hand that is on the four.  If you ever see an old clock with just one, then it's just a time keeper...if it has three, then it also has a calendar.





And, here is a contemporary clock that was originally available from Target.  It's huge (28") and I loved it when I saw it, but I didn't want to spend the money...I seem to remember it was over $100, and it was on the "want" list, not the "need" one. 

Then, one day I was in a "Dirt Cheap" junk store, and there it was, for $8!!!  A piece of plastic holding the front glass had come loose.  So, I brought it home, got out a screwdriver, and within twenty minutes, it was as good as new!  Yes, another happy moment in time!


Here are some family heirloom pieces that have been handed down, one from my side of the family, and the other from John's.  I keep them in the antique store display case with other family pieces.  You have to look hard to find them, but the mantle clock on the right side in the back belonged to my husband's maternal grandmother.  It is in great working condition, but it's really loud when it strikes.  I love it, but other folks have a hard time sleeping through the noise, so I just leave it in the case.  The other one is my maternal grandfather's pocket watch. It's in the little glass cloche to the left of the mantle clock.  It doesn't work, because my grandfather over wound it once...I like it just the way it is.



I hope you've enjoyed allowing me to share some of my happy moments in time...Now, I'm going to work on some "Spring Arrangements using Bird Nests"...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment