Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Bunny Gathering

So, I have a hundred things I need to be doing today...but, I'm playing with Easter bunnies instead.  I guess the dirt will still be here tomorrow, and once it's swept away, nobody will ever know that I just played today. As long as the house is eventually cleaned, everything will be okay.  Now, let me show you what I'm playing!  It's a Bunny Gathering!!! on my kitchen table...


Above photo is what it looked like when I was finished.  I had been working with spring birds the last few days (...the birds are still around, just in different places in the house) and decided that I needed to do an Easter arrangement.. it will be here before we know it.  I knew I wanted a wreath on the wreath stand in the center of the table for height, but I don't care for the grapevine wreaths like they come from the store.  They look a little tight to me.  I usually end up taking mine apart, and re-making it so that it is much looser.  I just like the look better, and you can make a little "nesting" area in the bottom to hold things.  And, as a bonus, you can usually make a couple of wreaths from one!


In this case, it's holding a bird nest with eggs and a little ceramic rabbit.  I lined the man-made bird nest with a piece of recycled sheet moss that I had around the house, and added little sparkly eggs. (*More about recycling moss at the end of this post)


I picked up the cute carrots from Pier 1 yesterday, but everything else I already had.

I used burlap ribbon leftover from Christmas, and just made a big floppy bow... tied it on with raffia and then stuck in some greenery and seasonal silk flowers.  I prefer to use fresh foliage and flowers whenever possible, but for daily display, this is more practical.

Note:  If you are entertaining, go outside and cut fresh stems and put them in water...about thirty minutes before the event, tuck them into the wreath...it will look pretty until the last guest has left.   This will not work with tulips, and a few other "flower" stems, but flowering bushes are great!

This little bunny basket (photo below) is one that I've had for a few years.  It is one of my favorite Easter pieces, but I've never been particularly fond of the raffia that came in it...


So, I added more recycled moss to the top of the raffia.  It just makes a prettier little nesting area for the eggs.  And it's soft, so the eggs just nestle right on down in it.


And, then there is the big rabbit!  He is a piece of folk art by artist Deborah Graham of Birmingham, Alabama, very near my hometown of Chelsea.  I picked him up from a cute shop up that way several years back.  He came with an empty basket, just waiting to be filled with fun things.



I took him over to my temporary work station in the kitchen where I used hot glue to make things stay in place...


In the photo above, you can see three different options that I had for making a soft place for the eggs to rest.  To the left is the recycled piece of sheet moss, which is a pretty bright green, but is flat and brittle like.  It tends to want to stay sort of flat.  Then there is the lighter green reindeer moss (also recycled) which is fluffy and soft.  And, finally, there is a piece of lichen or something natural that John found last week when walking in our woods.  He thought it looked like something I would want!  (I've trained him well!!)  For this rabbit's basket, I felt like the reindeer moss was the best choice.  It just molded into the basket with ease and was the perfect little spot for more glittery eggs!


*Now...the "more about recycling moss" that I wanted to tell you about.

Those bags of natural moss are expensive!  I do always use a coupon or wait until it goes on sale, but it can also be re-used.  And, that's the best kind...the already paid for kind.  I remembered a basket arrangement that I had used last year, and I had never fully deconstructed it.  So, when I went looking, there it was, still full of the moss that I had used in the bottom to cover the "mechanics" of the arrangement.  It does last a long time, so why not get as many miles out of it as possible?  I described the characteristics of each kind of moss above, and it seems like the sheet moss dries out faster than the other kinds, but it's still pretty and can be re-used...you just need to keep it sort of flat or it will tend to break.  It's also okay to spray it with water...after all, it is natural and organic, so it likes water.

Here is what it looked like when I found it!  It is at least a couple of years old.


And, I just re-used a little bit of it, so I still have more for the next project.  It probably would be a good idea for me to clean up the basket and put the moss into a Ziploc bag.  That will keep it from drying out further.

I think I am going to take tomorrow off and just clean...I'm sure while I clean, I will run across something that needs to be done, and that will probably become the subject of my next post!  

Thanks for dropping by!

Judy

Shared with-






11 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the carrots in your burlap bow!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Jenna! I knew as soon as I saw them in Pier 1 what I was going to do with them...they were only around $5 too, which made it even easier to decide that I wanted them! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. Judy,
    Thank you for sharing all you cute spring goodies at my party (great price on those carrots). You will be featured at my party on Monday.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a surprise to wake up to this Sunday morning! Thank you Linda for the feature...Looking forward to seeing it, and I'm glad you liked my spring pretties.
      Judy

      Delete
  3. I love your wreath!! Pinned it - I hope you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacey,
    I don't mind at all...I'm honored! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table arrangement is lovely! I love all kinds of moss, I can never get enough of it! ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! I appreciate your sweet comment.
      Judy

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ann! I appreciate your sweet comment.
      Judy

      Delete
  6. Whoa. This is attractive! I’m not really into a house design and thingy winy accessories, yet I think my wife will surely love this! A bunny gathering with a bunny beautiful thing!

    Sebastian Chuter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Sebastian! I'm glad you liked it enough to share with your wife, and I hope she is inspired as well! Let me know what she thinks, and thanks for commenting.
      Judy

      Delete