Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, February 10, 2014

Recycled Birdbath and Mermaids (Sirenas)

Hi everyone!  I've jumped into the bedroom to take some pics today of a couple of my recent projects...thought I would share these with you.

The bedroom piece that I'm most proud of is my bedside table...I picked up this old concrete birdbath at the monthly estate sale that I love to attend in Mobile.  I didn't really know what I was going to do with it until about five minutes later, when I looked across the room and saw a round glass tabletop also for sale.  I grabbed it and ran across to the birdbath to see if it would fit.  It did!  It was one of those "I wonder if people will think I've lost my mind if I jump up and down and scream" moments.  I contained myself and acted like they were just little old things that I would drag home and stick somewhere.  You never can let other bystanders see what you are planning.  They might like the way you think and then they will start following you around like sharks at these sales...then, it just makes more competition for "my" things.  Anyway, I knew that I was planning a mermaid room, because I had painted a very large piece, sort of a gypsy looking mermaid, and I knew that I wanted to keep her in our home.  She is not the kind of painting that I would put in the living room, so she would need to go to a bedroom.  I began planning the mermaid, or sea themed  recycled birdbath table as I shopped...thinking about what all would go into the bowl part of the piece...it would act as a little shadowbox for my sea treasures.  I remembered a book that I had purchased from Thrift Town, Gift from the Sea.  I have no idea what the book is actually about, but it felt right to put it in the story that I was creating for the birdbath.  Immediately upon returning home that day, I grabbed the Windex and cleaned the glass, wiped off the garbage from the birdbath and went to work on the fun part!  I dropped in some sea glass, sea shells, pearls, a mermaid tag that was on a gift from a friend, some mother of pearl buttons, and a starfish.  To the top, I added a gorgeous jewelry box, up-cycled by my friend Ruby Hadley, a mermaid doll, and a candle.  On the wall I hung a collection of mermaids, all painted by me...mostly mixed media pieces.  (I really want to pour water inside now!!! I know it wouldn't work, but it would be so perfect!)   It is now one of my favorite little corners of my house. 








This is the inspiration piece for the room...the large mermaid that I painted,
The Last Mermaid Queen.



Here is a shot of my new "bed" and bed set from Pottery Barn.  I bought the duvet set back last summer, but it took me a couple of months to pull it all together.  I never could find a headboard that I thought was just perfect, so this is my temporary "headboard"...I am still looking for that perfect illusive one.



A close up view of the pattern in the bed linens shows the colors that have become dominant in the room.  I painted the walls yellow, and all of the furniture is painted different "colors of the sea", except for the antique chest below the large mermaid that is still wood toned.  The turquoise and green are carried through from the living area to this bedroom which is located adjacent to the common living area, so it still "flows" when the door is left open.  I've even included splashes of orange and red that can be found in the smaller mermaid paintings...this helps to tie the rooms together as well.  


What's left to do in the bedroom project?  I still need to take the wall lanterns down and paint them white, John's (my husband) bookcase/bed side table is still black from the "before" look, so it needs to be painted, and I think that will complete the new fun, funky mermaid room.  I never thought John would go along with sleeping in a room full of mermaids...but, sometimes he surprises me.  I think he actually likes it a little.

Oh, one last thing...I sometimes prop the crown up on the pillow, towards my side of the bed, just as a small reminder to John...


Note:  Some of you already know that my life changed drastically  five months ago, when my nephew who is five, came to live with us to get needed medical treatment that wasn't available where he lived.  As a mother of grown children, I was very active in the community, and always on the go.   I resigned my position on our local chamber of commerce, resigned from my position as treasurer on our local arts council, and stopped "running around", all in an effort to take the best care of him possible. It has been a blessing that I can't even describe to have him here and get to know him...I am also getting some things done around the house that had been neglected, and I've started this blog as a new creative outlet.  Anyway, he spoke only Spanish when he arrived, and now he is speaking mostly English.  I have learned a lot from him, and one of the coolest things is that I've noticed how beautiful some Spanish words are!  Mermaid, for instance is "sirena".  Is that not a beautiful word?  It's now one of my favorites! And, so, I think this room will now become known as the Sirena Room



As always, thanks for stopping by and following my antics.  I hope that I've given you something that is inspiring or, at the very least, made you smile!  Have a great evening.

Judy

Shared with:

1 comment: