Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Learning New Tricks and Polishing Silver

I am really trying to learn everything I need to know about blogging, and it's mind boggling!  But, as with anything else, when you try something new, there will be many new "opportunities" for learning new tricks.  I actually love learning new things...Who knows?  Maybe this blogging thing will keep my mind young!  (Too bad it can't work for the rest of my body!)  Okay, back to what I learned today... It's probably simple to most of you reading this, but it was big for me.  I had always wondered how to put a watermark on the pics that are posted using Adobe Photoshop Elements 10...I actually took the time to read and learn how to do it this morning.  So, that's one more thing that I've learned to tackle while blogging...I can check that one off my list.

Now, on to the Polishing Silver part of the post, and I will be including watermarked photos!

As I've said before, I love silver.  It adds the "sparkle" to my home that is full of leather, stained concrete and lots of stained wood.   It can be found throughout, serving many purposes...






It doesn't always have to be newly polished; in fact, I prefer it a little tarnished.  You just have to be careful that you don't let it go too long without a good polishing.  If you do, you will end up with spots that will not polish out, and that affects the integrity of the piece.  Now, if that really tattered look is what you're going for, that's a different story.

I like to pick up pieces from thrift stores, yard sales and estate sales.  I always prefer a piece that has been loved before, and sometimes you get a tiny piece of history with it.   This piece was purchased from an estate sale, and on the back, it has an address label.  I like to imagine that it once held wonderful handmade candies, and was sharing a holiday table with other beautiful platters of goodies.  The name was put on the back so that it would be returned to the rightful owner.



 I seek out pieces that are still in pretty good condition, without any silver degradation.  Silver plated pieces are pretty easy to find if you look.  Many people do not like the task of polishing, so they would just rather not have it.  Lucky for us that do like it...

 I bought this piece from our local Thrift Town, brought it home and stuck a plant on it without even removing the $4 price tag!  This is the piece that told me it was time for some polishing this morning...I watered the plant that was on it and noticed it was time...it actually should have been cleaned a long time ago.  I'm sort of embarrassed to show it, but here it is, covered in the green yuck and price sticker.  


I like to use Silver Cream by Weiman for polishing.  Sometimes I have trouble removing the stickers and glue that come along with these second hand pieces.  (Why does anyone put a price sticker on the front of the piece???)  I always try water first, and if that doesn't work, I let it soak in soapy water.  That usually removes the paper, but sometimes leaves behind the sticky glue.  I decided to try Goo Gone.  I knew it would take the sticky residue off, but I wasn't sure what it would do to the silver...since I did only invest $4 on the piece, I figured it's worth it to see if it works.  And as you can see, it did!





Now, just look at all of this silver plated beautifulness!  It's so pretty and shiny, but I will love it even more when it's had time to tarnish just a little.  It should be perfect when time comes for spring entertaining.



Polishing Silver isn't so bad...it gives you time to really look and appreciate the beauty in each piece, and takes just a few minutes using the cleaners I mentioned...

Have I inspired you to start  your own "silver sparkle" collection?

As always, I hope that I've provided some inspiration or something that makes you smile.  Have a great day!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment