Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, February 20, 2014

DIY Hanging Pendant Light Using Vintage Jello or Gelatin Mold

Today I'm going to share a project that was so much fun and easy to do...It was fun, in part, because I had to ask my husband, John,  for help!  He would never admit it, but I think he enjoys "helping" me with my projects from time to time..we are an old married couple (of over 27 years) that actually still enjoys spending time together!  I put "helping" in quotations because, it's usually something that I need for him to do all by himself, with me just standing by giving orders!  In this case, it was using the drill with a hole saw...those teeth on that hole saw are just a little scary looking for me...and cutting into metal.  No.   If you're like me, and it seems like a scary project, ask the man in your life for help.  So, now let me show you how to make this simple project.  It will take about 10 minutes, from start to finish.  


If you like this actual piece, it may be purchased through my shop by clicking here.

DIY hanging pendant light from a swag light kit and vintage Jello mold



I happened to find an entire collection of vintage molds in a local antique mall in Mobile.  I had been looking for awhile and thinking about making a light, so I picked up several of the molds. It was so hard trying to choose which one to use!  They can be found in all sorts of shapes and sizes.   I'm just showing three of the prettier ones here.


I had already picked up the "swag lamp kit" at World Market for around $20.  They come in several colors to include clear, white and black.  I chose the clear cord with the silver metal socket.  There are many different kinds online...click here to see the variety offered on Ebay.


You do have to do a little measuring to find the center of the mold.  I marked this spot with a black grease pencil.  John thought it was a good idea to go ahead and draw the circle also...if you do this, just make sure you use a  pencil or marker that can be wiped off just in case things don't line up when you're finished.  We decided to drill a pilot hole, so that the drill bit would not try to jump around and scratch the mold.



Now, for the scary part...




Now that the hole is cut, just put it together!

As I said, it is SO easy...just follow the directions.  Basically, you just unscrew the ring from the socket, drill a hole the appropriate size and then insert the socket into the hole, followed by screwing the ring back on!  That's it!




Now, find a pretty light bulb, or one of the old fashioned looking ones for an industrial look, and you're ready to hang it!


Another shot of my studio work space.  Look closely, and you will see that I love little molds...watch for more projects using the tiny ones pictured here, and individual serving size aluminum molds too.  You can do so many neat things with these vintage molds!



Shared with:







No comments:

Post a Comment