Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Canceled Trip and Thinking About Who I Am as a Blogger

I'll have to admit that I am a little... no, a lot... disappointed this morning.  My sister-in-law, Marsha, and I had planned a wonderful weekend antique shopping trip up to Nashville.  We were to leave this morning, but as we watched the weather forecast the last couple of days, we decided it would not be smart for us to hit the road with the anticipated snow and ice...We both just bought new cars, and never mind the freezing to death that would be possible if we were stranded, we just didn't like the idea of leaving our new cars on the side of the interstate highway!  We saw the pictures a couple of weeks ago from Birmingham and Atlanta...  If you are lucky enough to find yourself in the Nashville area this weekend, go check out the Tailgate Music Valley Antiques Event and Vintage Marketplace at the State Fairgrounds, beginning tomorrow morning, and when you find wonderful treasures to take home, think about us, and how much we wish we could have been there.


The upside to the canceled trip is that I have more time to work on my blog.  I'm really enjoying it and learning so much.  I was pondering the "about me" part of the page and trying to figure out what to say...It's so hard to talk about myself...  I just knew I wasn't happy with what I had written before and needed to tweak it.  Who am I, as a blogger?  I started asking myself questions, hoping my answers would give me a clue. What exactly do I want to convey with my blog?  I decided to start going through my pics on the computer and pick out the ones that spoke to me, while I thought about the "who I am" thing in the background.   I decided to come up with one word that best described each picture.  As I went through that process, and looked at these words, it all became crystal clear!  The pics that I've chosen are about what I love, and that, in part, describes who I am.  The words were homemaking, decorating and diy, jewelry, art, and cats.  

To elaborate...
 I love homemaking, or feathering our nest....

Our Nest
I sometimes feather outside the nest!
Herbs in the Kitchen Garden

 ...and it's especially fun when I am creating (or re-creating) the pieces that I will use..which falls under decorating and diy.

 


 



..and working in my studio... What I do from day to day varies...I love making quirky jewelry from found objects. I also love creating two dimensional artwork;  I work with acrylic paint, inks, soft pastels, papers, glues, glitter, and anything else that I feel inspired to include...it's called "mixed-media" work.  To simplify, I just called it "art". 


Mixed-Media Abstract

Whimsical Necklace 

    Soldered French Stamp Necklace

Some people find my studio a little creepy!  I LOVE my doll heads, and have never seen a horror movie, so maybe that's why I just see them as pretty little doll fragments and not something scary!

I also found myself lingering over pictures of our two cats, Sunshine and Moonbeam.  I felt compelled to include a picture.  The cats are part of my life now...I have become a "cat lady", which is really surprising and funny to people who know me, because I was  never an animal person.   The way the cats came to us is a story for another day, but for now, I will just add a pic to my banner called "cats". 


Sunshine

Moonbeam Guards the Catnip!
Once I had created the banner and looked at the descriptive words as a whole, it did paint a picture of who I am and what I want my blog to be about.  So, from this day forward, I will attempt to bring you interesting posts about homemaking, decorating, diy projects, artisan jewelry, art and cats.  

Note:  It goes without saying, that my family is at the top of my list of loves!  It's just that this blog is not about them...they are perfectly happy with me not talking about them...except in tiny doses.  

Thanks for joining me today.  I would love for you to share with friends and family!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment