Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, January 27, 2014

Editing...

Well, I spent the day photographing and thinking about what to keep, what goes, and what can be given a new look.  To refresh your memory, here is a quick snapshot of my new color scheme and look.



So far, these are keepers...in addition to the painting that I showed in the last post.  If you missed it, you can see it here: Yesterday's post


I LOVE my wooden boxes and they make great storage bins.  They are currently stacked in the kitchen area, so I have in them a huge stash of decorative cocktail napkins, clear plastic drink cups for parties, seasonal serving pieces, and in the one with two drawers, I keep kitchen utensils that I use frequently, because it's easy to get to them.  The patina of the old worn wood adds a warmth to a room that's hard to imitate.  And, the warmth of the wood will ground the room when all of the bright colors are added.  I do think that I will remove the cloche on top and add another box...I like odd numbers, and this even number is bothering me!


Next, my silver plated pieces.  I can never get enough of these mismatched platters, cups, pitchers or whatever I can find.  It doesn't have to be "good" sterling, as it's the sparkle and white metal color that I'm after.  I love the way it goes with the worn old wood on the boxes.  Each makes the other more special!  I will always be on the lookout for more, and I think it works with my new color scheme, so they will stay.

  
This lamp is one that I painted just before Christmas...It was black, and I decided to just spray paint it to get more color in the room for the holidays.  My old look had a lot of black.  The old color scheme was a more earthy and Pottery Barnish looking, with lots of naturals and well, black.  I still love that look, but I just need more color this time around.  Bright color.  The blue is found in the fabric(s) that I picked and shared earlier.   
The owl will stick around until spring, when I will switch him out with a bunny or some other springy thing...maybe a baby chicken?  I have lots of "props" in storage...I'll see what I can find when I see green starting to peek up outside.

The turquoise throw is another piece that I purchased just before Christmas.  It's a perfect match with my fabrics, so it needs to stay.




These works of art are perfect right where they are.  The colors are close enough that they will still work, and the blue bird makes me think of my friend, Jo, who painted it.  I painted the peacock, which was done in non-traditional peacock colors, and the pretty mixed-media tree was painted by an artist from Georgia (Lynn@the Carved Painting.com).
This whimsical fruit and potato basket is in my kitchen area just before you walk into the pantry.  In its previous life, it was a plant stand.  I picked it up at my favorite estate sale (Olde Mobile Estate Sales) for $1!  I love the quirky bent pieces and texture.  I painted it a funky leaf green, that is still perfect for the new color scheme.  That's a good thing, since I don't think I could part with it.  It is so handy to hold produce, and one of my favorite things in the kitchen.


Now, here is a table that I believe I can keep if I work on it...again.  It was white with a layer of dirt, but oh so fine, when I found it at Thrift Town.  It was missing the top, but no worries...we can take care of that, and we did.  My husband and I made the top from reclaimed lumber, which I stained and topped with a round piece of glass.  The glass came from the Olde Mobile Estate Sale... also a steal at $5!  It's the good thick glass too!  Anyway, I painted it black for the old look.  Now, it's time to go bright and happy.  I'm thinking maybe the leaf green like the piece above.  That will be a project for one day when it gets a little warmer.  For now, I will probably just move it to the shop and put another table here temporarily.   The clutter under the table will go too!  I put these little boxes here to hold the remote controls...but, as you can see, they are on top of the table!  Oh well, that's just how that story goes.


What did I actually edit?  Well, that's always the hard part!  I asked myself to think ONLY in terms of whether or not it matches or coordinates with the new look.  Forget about my love for it.  It can always be moved to another more appropriate place in the house if I decide I must keep it.  So, these are the pieces that simply will not work.

This lamp...It's a great vintage piece in it's original finish, and with a perfect patina!  The black silk lampshade is great with it...Looked great with my old look, but doesn't make the cut for the new look.  It will probably go (whenever I have that sale that I keep talking about having).

 

And, this painting by my friend, Nancy Dean.  I absolutely love him as much as I did the day I purchased him, but the colors and style just are not working in this room anymore.  He will now hang in my gallery at the top of the stairs, with some other wonderful works of art.


So, that is how I edit.  I know it seems like I didn't remove much, but, I am still in the early stages of the process.  As I put things out, some of them will just not feel right, so they will go back into storage, or into another room...that process will go on for weeks, until it feels right.  I must say that I really enjoy the process of moving things around over and over again.  Each time I pick up and really "look" at something, I appreciate it's beauty all over again, and remember why I loved it in the first place.





2 comments:

  1. Don't you love those estate sale finds?!? Coming down for this weekend's sale.....hopefully will get to see you!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be there Cindy, but it's hard to get Justin up, dressed and fed, and his therapy done in time to get there early...I guess I could always show up at a "normal" time. Anyway, I will probably be too late to see you. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete